Nowadays, Fashion and gold plated jewellery comes at an affordable price but with a limited lifespan and requires a proper care and maintenance to prolong its life. Fashion jewellery tarnishes when exposed to moisture, oils, salts and acids. Our skin transfers all of these so special care is required.
- Keep jewellery away from direct heat, water, perfumes, deodorants and other strong chemicals as they may react with the metal or the plating.
- A single spray of these perfumes are good enough to instantly spoil the look and colour of the jewellery or shorten the colour life.
- Dry your hands before handling, or putting on, any piece of fashion jewellery from your collection.
- While cleaning your costume jewellery, do not immerse it in water or any cleaning solution. Doing so will cause a change in the colour of the stones. It also dissolves the material used to set the stones. Instead, use a damp, soft cloth to wipe the jewellery.
- Keep your jewellery in original box or airtight zip lock covers or plastic boxes & store individual pieces separately.
- Before placing them in containers, make sure any moisture or sweat should be properly wiped off with a moisture-absorbing product like small silica packets that typically come packaged with suitcases and shoes. If you don't have access to moisture-absorbing materials, make sure each jewellery piece is thoroughly dry, then seal it into a ziplock plastic bag for storage.
- When storing your fashion jewellery try wrapping each piece in anti-tarnish paper. If you don't have anti-tarnish paper you may use an eyeglass cloth instead.
Do's and Dont's:
- Don't Wash Dishes or do Laundry With Your Jewellery on: Many cleaning products that come in contact with your beautiful jewellery that can take off the finish because of the harsh chemicals.
- Don't Wear Jewellery In Pool or at the Spa: Chlorinated water can react with the metals.
- Don't Put on Lotion or Perfume with your Jewellery on: For the same reasons listed above, lotions and perfumes that are not 100% natural can react unfavourably with your jewellery.
- Put Your Jewellery on After You Put Your Clothes on and Before Your Take Your Clothes Off: Doing this will ensure that your clothing doesn't get caught on your sweater or t-shirt during the clothing removal process. An accidental pull of your necklace while taking off your shirt can cause a chain or string to break.
- Put Jewellery On After Applying Hairspray and Makeup: Perfumes, hairspray, lotion and makeup usually contains harsh chemicals that can damage your beautiful jewellery. By waiting until you are all done your beauty routine you can avoid potential damage.
- Remove Your Jewellery During Activities: When performing mundane and fun tasks, such as laundry, cooking, or gardening, remove your jewellery to prevent physical damage or exposure to cleaning chemicals or cleaning fluids.